The morning started out at about 7:30am with dog noses in my face.
Since Blues’ motor and transmission worked pretty hard yesterday going downhill (in 1st gear) due to the 15 mph speed limit on the switchbacks, I checked the water and oil. It is so chilly I couldn’t get the oil cap off to top off the oil!! One of the lovely issues with a Chevy big block, they “piddle”.
We were on the road about 8:30am, with the first stop being in Amarillo for gas and adding oil. Once the engine was warm, the oil cap popped right off, almost in my face!!
I stopped in Shamrock TX for Mickey D’s – coffee and 3 cheeseburgers. Coffee and 1 ½ burger for me, 1 ½ burger for the fur babies. While in Shamrock, I went into the local “kwik stop” to see about a state hat (tie-tack) pin. Took a few minutes to get the clerks attention, as she was mopping the floor and chatting with a couple of friends. She apologized for making me wait, then she and I decided to mess with her friends a little bit…. I said “pardon me, but your friend says that both you ladies are pretty good with a mop”, then everybody cracked up. I don’t think the clerk thought I would really say that!!Straight flat road, flat land, ominous sky.....
The drive through Oklahoma was pretty dull, although every now and then I would hear the truckers on the CB radio… gets pretty racey, like last night some lot lizard came on to the boys, and she was mighty naughty. None of the boys who were chatting responded, almost like they had duct tape over their mouths!
Once I got through OK City, I realized, OH SHIT!! I’m on the wrong interstate!!!!
Somewhere I missed the I-44 to Tulsa lane and ended up north bound on I-35. One thing I will note, if I signal, the driver in the lane I want to go to will usually slow down to let me in. Thanks OK!! I think I had the same issue last year, but Jordan was along to help with the signs, which aren’t real good.
I was able to get off and look at the map. I was able to cut across on OK 51 through Stillwater and on to Tulsa. Kind of like going from Glendale to Simi Valley via Sylmar!! Stillwater was an interesting town, and would have been worth a look, but I was hoping to get to Anjanine’s tonight. The next town on this route was Yale, and it had a pretty woe-be-gone look about it. Very sad.
Oh, OK has toll roads. Since I missed some of the interstate between OK City and Tulsa, I only had to pay one toll, but managed to get behind some guy (the passenger got out) with a truck with US Gov’t plates that was telling a novel to the toll taker. The woman in the next booth was laughing, especially since some dumb female dog in Blue was on the dinette barking at the toll taker and the passenger dude. The toll taker finally told them to move over to the side so the rest of us could pass. GRRRRR!
At my next gas stop I realized that I forgot to put Blue’s gas cap back on. Damn! I forgot to mention some DOG that won’t be named is driving me NUTS!! Since she stole the dog food, she is a little “full” and gets extremely antsy. So, at the gas stop I took her out, and forgot the cap.
As Miss Ants in her Pants (Fleas on her Knees?) did her whiny/bark thing, I would find a place to pull over and take her out. No luck. After the last stop (I was ready to throw her in the road or stomp on her) she finally went!!! YEAHHHHH!!! Never thought I’d be so glad to have a dog poop!
So the dog is happy, but no luck finding an auto parts store open. And to any of the truck stops have a cap…?? NO. So, that is tomorrows project. It’s not the first time I’ve forgotten the gas cap.
By this time I realize I will not make it to Anjanine’s tonight, so I pull off in Joplin MO to look at my map and find a campground. So, now we are at The Big Red Barn RV Park. I am so full of coffee, I can’t sleep, and there is a generator running on the property across the road. Anjanine said that a lot of places are without power so the generator is not out of place, just annoying. I’m not happy with the spot I’m in, no ground on the electrical (bad, I know) and not a site where I can dump. I’ll need to ask in the AM about dumping. Seems like the black tank is filling up too fast, although the water tank isn’t down too much. All that coffee, maybe??
Let’s see what else is new… um, I broke my glasses (at least not my GOOD pair) while cleaning a spot off the lens. Cracked the frame. Probably from leaving them in the hot car all the time, maybe?? So, I was driving with just a lens for my good eye. Tonight I broke down and got out the good pair, since I would be driving after dark.
Today was “road kill” day. Haven’t seen too much, until today. Two deer, a few coyotes and a bunch of armadillos. I was especially cautious on route 51 for deer as it was becoming dark and the secondary roads aren’t as insulated from critters as the interstates.
I’m thinking tomorrow morning I am going to tidy up and take a shower before we leave here. Anjanine will be at work and I can’t go up her road until Mr. Frank comes to re-grade it due to last weeks storm. AND there are predictions for more storms. FUN!
1 comment:
Just HAD to add this!!! Get a chain for your gas cap!!! (wink!!)
Post a Comment