Sunday, May 31, 2009

Saturday May 30 – Hermann MO to Richland MO

Arggggh!!! After yesterday being a beautiful day, it’s RAINING again!!! So, I didn’t want to get up, but finally had to take the dogs out. After they ate, I saw Beverly outside, so in just a few minutes I was ready to go walk to the Bakery. Chuck is staying in.

We didn’t go the same way I did last night, but walked out the north end of the park and over to Market St. There are some beautiful old homes here, and there was one that the folks are repainting.

You can see where they are stripping the old paint down to bare wood and repainting. Lots of gingerbread here and lots of hills!

Once at the bakery, we were greeted by LOTS of donuts and pastries and wonderful smells. Beverly bought the last Apple Strudel, and I bought a pecan caramel pastry (both about 15” long), two bear claws and two apple custard pastries, plus a cup of coffee. Old stove in the bakery.

Armed with our goodies, we walked back to the rigs in the sometimes misty morning. At Beverly’s, we cut the two big pastries in half, then I had a slice of the pecan caramel for breakfast along with the coffee.

Beverly and Chuck were ready to head toward Indiana, and I drove up to Schiller Street and parked in front of the bike shop. Turns out he had fenders, but nothing that will fit the Giant Sedona. I drove a little further up the street and parked out of the way. I decided to walk up and down the streets looking in the shops and take more pictures.
Home decor and gingerbread!!! Over the top decor in a shop
Beautiful window detail
Interesting table detail Quite tall salt and pepper shakers - probably 6" tall!!
Inviting gate

By this time, the sky had cleared and the weather was turning breezy and hot. On First Street, I stopped and got lunch. I had Knackwurst and sauerkraut with hot German potato salad and hot tea. The lunch was VERY tasty, but the service went from prompt to ignore. So, I got up to pay and the waitress realized she had forgotten me, as I heard her mutter a little “opps” when I asked for my check.


I went back to Blue and moved again to the Riverfront Park and took the dogs for a walk.


Once we got back on the road, I headed back west along highway 94 to look for a parking trail head for the Katy trail. Turns out I should have gone north on 19 a little farther instead of turning on 94. I had to go about 15 miles before I could park.

I unloaded the bike and decided I would ride 5 miles one way and 5 miles back, that way I could honestly say I rode on the Katy trail! The trail is hard pack dirt with fine gravel that runs along the MKT rail lines. In many areas, it is in between the cliffs and the Missouri River. The section I chose was mostly under the trees, so the sun and wind didn’t bother me too much.



I did stop once to try to take a picture of the hawks flying above the trees and got attacked by mosquitoes!!! OW! I pedaled fast out of there!! As low as I was moving, I didn’t have problems with the critters! Once back at Blue, I loaded up the bike and headed back to Hermann and highway 19.

I stopped in Hermann for gas and overfilled the tank. Phew, did that gas stink!! I stopped a few times in the little towns on the way to double check the map and take more photos. I’m so glad I use a digital camera now!!

When I got to Cuba (19 and I-44) I pulled into a truck stop and parked to take a nap. One thing about the small roads here, there aren’t any road shoulders and the driveways are 90 degrees with no aprons, so no where to pull off to relax.

Got back to Anjanines around 7:30pm and got lots of hugs from the 3 kids that are here. The older ones are at Girl Scout camp this weekend. I gave Anjanine her Apple Strudel with instructions to the kids that the pastry is ONLY for Anjanine!! She starting nibbling immediately and pronounced it delicious.

John brought pizza back for dinner. YUM. Everyone turned in early tonight, including me!

No comments: