Saturday, May 9, 2009

Friday May 8 – Dead Horse to Holbrook, AZ

Well, we didn’t have any biker problems last night! Breakfast was “Continental” style with fruit, juice, coffee and various breads, cakes, etc. I started off by getting my coffee spilled. Great, another one of those days!! The other thing was everybody was teasing me about the bikers looking for me. I was one of the few that didn’t have an “Oh, my GOSH, big, bad BIKERS!! attitude. I think by 9:30-10am everyone was packed up and ready to head out.

I wiggled my way between 3 Class A’s that were stopped to attach their “toads”, then drove down to dump. I ended up turning around because the one side was pretty yucky and uphill to boot. Tanks were fuller than I thought!

I drove into Cottonwood to check out a chair I saw in front of an antique store on the way in Wednesday. It was priced very reasonably and in good shape, a white wicker straight back style, which my Mom was looking for.

I also found a couple of other goodies for Christmas presents. I drove back past the turn for Dead Horse to the “old” part of Cottonwood and found a parking spot on the street at the end of the row. Easy to escape that way. As Steve was driving up from Surprise for lunch, I had some time to kill so I walked a couple of blocks on each side of the street, taking time to poke my nose into the various shops. Very eclectic mix of old and new things.

I parked over by Concho’s (our favorite Mexican restaurant in Cottonwood) and sat on the patio to wait for Steve. The owner came over to chat, and wondered where we’ve been! Once Steve arrived we ordered Margaritas and chicken taco/enchilada for me, and huevos con chorizo for him. YMMMM!

After lunch we went to Steve’s favorite antique store and the doggie door stop I was drooling over on our last trip was still there, and at a better price. So now, it’s my doggie door stop!!

Covered Wagons, old & newDon't we wish gas price Steve and his favorite toys!

We must have spent at least an hour wandering the aisles and outside barns, then we drove around the corner to the park, where we relaxed in the breezy shade. After we sat in the park for a bit, we headed off to the Mexican Bakery that we like for some road/breakfast goodies!! Finally we said our goodbyes and Steve headed back to Surprise and I drove north via 89A through Sedona.

89A is a pretty drive, but is a fairly narrow, two lane twisty road. I’ve started seeing more motorcycles heading in, quite a few with New Mexico plates. Once we got near Flagstaff Smudge started getting REALLY antsy. There was no where to stop!! I finally pulled into the Northern Arizona University parking lot and jumped out to take both dogs for a walk. NOTHING!!

So, back in the rig, where I discovered I was heading in the wrong direction. Within a few blocks, my nose told me I was in trouble, or rather Smudge was in trouble!!! There is a reason I cover Blue’s carpet with throw rugs!!! YUCK!! So, pull over again, chase both dogs under the dinette and clean up.

I couldn’t wait to leave Flagstaff as there was so much traffic!!! I got off the interstate in Winslow and drove down Route 66. Of course I had to get a picture of Blue on “THE CORNER”, then stopped to get a look at upcoming campgrounds.

It is quite windy and every now and then a blast would nudge Blue a little bit. I decided to stop in Holbrook, get gas and a site at the OK RV Park north of the interstate and the railroad tracks. I’m tired enough that it took me a couple of tries to get my leveling blocks on the correct side and end of the rig!!

I put the throw rugs in the laundry, which is very close to my site, stopped and chatted with an older gentleman with a Grey LD from the Northern Exposure Group. Just at dusk I took the “kids” for a walk along the northern edge of the campground.

I warmed up some soup for dinner, then went to put the throw rugs in the dryer. After the 36 minute dry time was up, I grabbed the rugs and went to the shower. Very clean, but with the lumpiest, undulating floor!!! Very odd to stand on.

No comments: