Sunday, May 31, 2009

Thursday May 28, Sedalia MO and Escapade

These darn dogs won’t let a person sleep in!! Rico does the kissy thing and if I hide under the blanket, I will find a nose poking around. Then Smudge started running from one end of the rig to another (not very far!) but at my end she would jump on the bed and do this “barky-growly” thing. So up I got.

Took the kids out for a walk, still in my polar bear p-j’s. All they did was pee, but they got to meet the man who goes out with a baggy of treats and visits with all the dogs out being walked. Rico sat (with some encouragement) and shook, and Smudge sat but did her “but you are a MAN, and I must be scared” routine…. But she took a cookie. Rico was ready for another. Hey dog, only one treat per day, dude!

Gave the kids breakfast and made a bowl of grits for me (Yum.. HA HA). It isn’t raining, but it is damp and a cool breeze is blowing. I was going to go to the “Materialist Minimalism” class, but got busy doing things in the rig, namely refilling the water (had to borrow a 3rd hose) and dumping the grey water (and the black, again!)
I can’t quite get my sewer hose to reach the grey water valve and stay on the fitting while I tried to pull the valve handle (which is VERY stiff), so I improvised…. Put an extra fitting on the valve, I stood back, yanked the handle back and stuffed the hose against the extra fitting. Water went everywhere!! But, I did get the ends together and managed to drain the tank (sink and shower water only, thanks). I sure wouldn’t try that with the black water!!!! Ed suggested that I lubricate the slide on the valve, and that seemed to help. Both valve slides are quite new, so I was surprised that I had problems.

I decided to try to pull out of my spot (conflicting weather reports, some say more rain tonight, others say no). Ed and Carol moved, so I decided to join them. I put two door mats in front of my drive wheels, put the transmission in 2nd and took off, slow and steady. I didn’t stop til I was on solid ground. Whoo-hooo.One guy in a BIG class A 4 rigs down from us started to leave and was moving real well until he got nervous and let off the gas. You could watch him sink, as the muddy muck is worse close to the roadway. He had this really silly grin on his face, like “I know I shouldn’t have done that!” Blocked the road for an hour or so.One group pooled $$$ and bought plywood which they had ripped in half lengthwise. They would lay a trail and drive one by one (mostly big class A’s and 5th wheels). One guy driving a Dodge couldn’t get his 5th wheel out, so a guy with a big Chevy was able to do the job. He went blasting through and ended up on the NEXT road to get out of every one else’s way…that truck had some huevos!!

So, our new address is up by the stadium, on nice, solid asphalt.The next class I went to was travel in the South West by the Churches, who write very thorough travel guides for RV’rs. Pretty interesting, but they had more maps on display than the beautiful scenery.

I was able to grab a quick bite of leftover chicken, which carrots and hummus, and walk to dogs before “Closing Ceremonies” started at 3pm. Have I mentioned that everything is very prompt here? So much for no watch and no calendar!! Well, the carrot wasn't my speed, but don't I look fantastic in this photo??

Lots of applause for various groups and helpers. Turns out there are 753 rigs here, and over 1300 people. WOW!! Then the drawing for the Grand Prize door prize was held. The Grand Prize is a tour of the Canadian Maritimes worth over $3000.00. The couple that won seemed awfully excited!!

After closing ceremonies I packed up my laundry and the muddy throw rugs and rode over to the laundromat. Before
As there was a BBQ place next door that put flyers in the laundry, I decided to try their food for dinner. I put in an order of pulled pork, beans and cole slaw. By the time I finished folding my clothes and packing them in the panniers, my dinner was ready. I asked for it double bagged and tucked it in between the panniers. After

Boy, did I have a lot of attention from the furr-kids when I got back to Blue. There are now a total of 5 Lazy Dazes up here now. I ate dinner, put the clean clothes away and went outside to chat with my neighbors and walk the dogs. I also rode my bike around the campground with invitations for all the Lazy Daze owners to meet tomorrow at 8am at the “Hitch up Breakfast” at the Hospitality building. Visiting at the new address

Tonight at 8pm there is a “dance” in the stadium. I met Bonnie and Willie there, and I didn’t realize we were sitting at the “Solos” table. I got asked to dance a couple of times, but said “no”. I’m actually pretty tired, but chatted a bit and had a fun time. I did get up and do the “Chicken Dance” and “YMCA” as they were group dances. Chicken dance, YMCA and I loved this t-shirt!

Headed off to walk the critters and bedtime about 9:45. YAWN. Oh!! And I had to make a sign for our table so everyone would know where the LD’s are!

No comments: