Monday, June 15, 2009

Tuesday June 9 - Denver (Littleton) CO to Berthoud CO

Well, I got up this morning and went in to chat with Kathy while she was getting ready for work. Once she left I took a shower, then Steve and I took the dogs for another nice walk. We made our list of things to do; Camping World for a new AC shroud, or Home Depot for heavy plastic and more duct tape, a post office and a bank, and maybe a Kaiser for my sinus infection, which is getting worse from the allergies from Missouri.


I'm so jealous of Kathy's yard.... look at this view over the back fence!!!

We saw a place called “My Favorite Muffin” where we had breakfast. They had the biggest bagels I have ever seen… probably 8-9” in diameter!!! I remembered seeing a Camping World the first time I came to Denver some years back, so we were headed in that direction. Have I mentioned that Denver drivers are even worse than those in Los Angeles??? Cut you off in a heartbeat. Kathy confirmed this, too!! Anyway, my memory was correct, and we found the CW!! Only problem, no shroud in stock, and it would take a week for them to get one. I will have to order one online once I am home.

So, back on the highway toward Berthoud, and I see a sign pointing “Post Office” and what do you know, the bank we are looking for!!! Turns out this Chase Bank doesn’t handle WAMU yet, but the teller told me where one was that does, and also the best way to get to the post office, as there are some directional restrictions. He even drew a map!! So, mailed the bills, and was able to get turned around properly without breaking any traffic laws.

His directions took us right to the proper bank, which is still on our way to Berthoud. From there, a few blocks up was Home Depot. This is the only HD that had really helpful, very knowledgeable YOUNG staff that could direct us to what we needed. So, armed with 4 mil plastic and a new roll of duct tape, we went out to make a better repair to the air conditioner. It has been raining so much, and is threatening to rain more, so I don’t want to get the innards of the AC wet if I can help it!!

I had called our friend Joan who lives in Berthoud to let her know I was in town, and that we were hoping to get to her house between 3-4pm. Well, as we were driving north up highway 287, I saw a big hospital complex, and one of the buildings was a Kaiser!! So, off we went to see if they had an Urgent Care.

Well, first off, no Urgent Care, but the nice clerk gave me a temporary Denver account number and called a triage nurse to come assess me. Once that was done, she was able to get me an appointment at 4:30… which was in one hour!! WOW!! So, I called Joan and let her know what was up…. No problem.

At 4:40pm I was called in and was getting my nurse’s workup when one of the other nurses made a comment about what looks like a tornado out the window…. Here I am in the exam room with the nurse when an announcement comes on “There has been a tornado sighting, please move to the center of the building immediately”. So, we are on the 4th floor of a four story building, the nurses, doctors, patients, kids from pediatrics, in a fairly small room for that many folks. Poor Steve came in looking a little bewildered, as he had been in the waiting room. You could hear the noise outside. No THANKS!!

After about 45 minutes, we were giving the all clear, I was seen by my Doctor, and giving a prescription for Azithromycin. Hopefully this will clear up my congestion!

Calm, after the storm.... look at these un-retouched rainbows!!

So, off we went to Berthoud, and I got a little directionally challenged, but finally found my way to Joans’ apartment. She saw us pull in, and yoo-hoo’d to us from her new unit, which is downstairs and across from the old building. She also has a new orange and white kitty who was watching from the window.

Turns out she made us burritos for dinner, although we had planned on taking her out to dinner. This is her first time meeting Steve…. She wanted to see who could put up with me for so long!! Her black and white kitty, William, passed on at age 20, and after 3 months Joan got lonely and adopted Miss Daisy, her friendly window dressing. We reminisced about the times we worked together, Joan, Kathy, Rose and I, and the trips we made from Los Angeles to Denver so my Mom and I (and Rose) could visit with our old co-workers. Steve fits right in.

After dinner, we got another surprise when we went outside… a police vehicle next to Blue. Turns out the manager of the complex called the cops when she noticed the out of state plate. I explained to the officer what we were doing there, so he called the manager back and mentioned that we were delayed due to bad weather and could we stay in the lot. That got nixed due to a fire department ordinance about oversize vehicles, but we could park on the street “as long as we weren’t sleeping inside”… wink, we don’t know that, right?? Cool cop. He told us how many feet away from driveways, signs, fire hydrants, etc. we needed to be.. So, off we went to find a spot for the night.

No comments: