Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday June 8 Salina (Assaria) KS to Denver (Littleton) CO


Wind damage to the neighbors group tent from last nights storm!

Set out early this morning as I will be picking Steve up at Denver International Airport around 3pm today. Or so I thought! Got a call from Steve, US Air downsized their plane so he got bumped to a later flight. Old farmstead en route.... (above) DUH, sign at the gas station.... (below)
I was able to stop in a couple of the small towns along the route. Most of the buildings are from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s and have been similar across the states I’ve been through. I stopped in Russell, Kansas and also Colby, Kansas, just to take a peek around. Colby had a very nice visitors center that I had fun in, not only getting ideas for future travel but chatting with the employees.
Brick streets..... throughout the older downtown area!!
This guy was waiting patiently for his owner at the local Wally-world, and the truck was from Peoria, Arizona!!Even with the one hour time change and with Steve’s plane coming in later, I was pushing at the speed limit of 75 mph. A little too much goofing around, I guess. So, eastern Colorado was a blur of fields, fields, cows, more cows and lots of semi trucks.
Got a call from Steve when I was about 45 minutes from the airport. He had forgotten to call me to let me know when the later flight would arrive, so he was waiting. Then disaster struck. My friend Kathy, who lives in Littleton and with whom we were going to have dinner with, told me one thing about the airport. Someone else at the airport told Steve something else.

So, I go zipping around a curve to the “Arrivals” area, and here is a sign stating “Height limit 9’6” “ and Blue is 9’9”!!!! There is a car right on my butt, but I hit the brakes hard and edge to the left and BAMM!!!! The height limit sign wacks the top of Blue. Turns out Steve watches the whole thing. I stop dead, as I can tell that I wouldn’t fit into what amounts to a parking garage set up. OWWWIE!!!! OWWWIE!!!! OWWWIE!!!! I've got a headache!!!

Steve comes out with a very nice policeman who states that there is at least one vehicle a day that does the same thing. So, I try to back up, but there is too much traffic, and the policeman calls for a road block, in the meantime I just inch back bit by bit. About a quarter mile to back up. Why couldn’t they sign the low clearance before you are stuck??? Finally a couple of police cars block traffic so I can back all the way up, and the folks either are staring or swerving around me and the cop cars. I almost clipped one idiot.

I will be writing a few poison pen letters to various Denver officials, as it turns out not only did I snap off my CB antenna (which is good to have for weather and road conditions), but I shattered Blues air conditioner shroud. I hope there is no damage to the air conditioner itself.

So, we are pulled over on the side of the exit to the airport, covering the exposed parts of the AC unit with plastic trash bags and duct tape. I’ve called Kathy to let her know we’ll be later than expected, and to pick a spot for dinner!
We didn’t have too much trouble finding Kathys’ place in Littleton, and I pulled into the driveway. Whew… made it. After a few minutes of greeting, we all took the dogs and took a nice walk around to the City park that fronts the rear of her property. We then saw all the changes she has made to the house from our last visit, and then drove off to a nice little Italian place for a late dinner. One of the things we got a chuckle out of was the fact that Kathy will be staying with Jennifer in Los Angeles next weekend!! Once back at Kathy’s we were able to relax and turn in.

No comments: