Monday, June 15, 2009

Saturday June 6 - Richland to Branson MO

I was up early to feed the dogs and eat. I made my lunch and tossed it in the cooler in the back of the Yukon. Anjanine and I plus a couple of the kids rode in the Van, everyone else rode in the Yukon.

As we needed to be in Branson at 9:30am, we wanted to leave the house at 7:15am, but got underway about 7:40am. What is that saying about herding cats? We are off to see the Shepherd in the Hills homestead and show.

Of course, once we got to Branson it was hurry up and wait. This is another Girl Scout affiliated trip.
Old appliances on display near the entrance.The guides ended up splitting us so they had enough “trams” to go around….well, a “cattle car” like thing pulled by a Jeep.

Our first stop was all about the horse, the anatomy, feeding, saddling, etc., etc. Extremely thorough, but over the top for even the adults (or especially the adults!!) Don't call this little guy a "pony" - He is a minature horse! Bored teenager, can you guess??
From there we all regrouped for Cowboy poetry reading, which was very good and entertaining, then we had our lunch. I did learn a new term for pinto beans “whistle berries”. I spoiled Anjanine (at Pats urging) with chile cheese fries. Everyone was begging for one.
Sometimes I feel like this guy, don't cha know???!!!!
After lunch, we were taken via tram for a backstage talk and demonstration of the sound system, costumes, make up and stunts to explain how they do tonights show in a realistic manner without injury.



From there, we went up to the inspiration tower, where some of us went up in the elevator to the top…. Fantastic views all around. Anjanine wouldn’t go up, the chicken.

Our “box dinner” was boiled hot dogs on a cold bun, potato chips and an “uncrustable”, a peanut butter and grape jam concoction. We thought we were getting the chicken dinner and “Sons of the Pioneers” show. WAAAA!!! We were Girl Scouts all day long!
We finished the evening by piling back in the trams for the actual “Shepherd in the Hills” reenactment. But first, there were bull frog races, which were pretty funny and kids really enjoyed. I had forgotten my glasses, so Audrianna and I shared the binoculars. Since we both have the same eye issues, we don’t have to change the settings.

There was lots of action, horses, fights, shooting and a burning cabin, which kept everybody entertained. There was even square dancing, and the girls got to go down and join in with a dance they learned earlier in the day.

No comments: