Monday, June 15, 2009

Thursday June 11 – Rawlins WY to Gros Ventre WY

Had cereal in Blue this morning, then headed out towards Lander via highway 287 again.. had to u-turn to admire an old Model T that was on a trailer, going to a meet. Interesting gas station architecture, above; Model T show car, below:

We saw a group of 4 cycle tourists, battling the wind and bad weather. We pulled up alongside to chat for a second. We passed two more groups of four, and all in the groups appeared young and miserable. The men all had beards and everyone was bundled up. Pronghorn being curious...... these cyclists had some hard rain coming up!!
We stopped in Jeffrey City at Monk King Bird pottery gallery, where we chatted with the potter and I bought a small cup. We mentioned the cyclists and he said it was a group of 19, and would be stopping at the café across the road.
From there we stopped in Sweetwater Station, where a bunch of old falling down buildings led us to a really nice visit with a couple of ladies who have all kinds of critters, chickens, ducks, a llama, sheep, peacocks and I was even able to get my orange kitty fix!!







Turns out these ladies moved their old book store from Denver to this ranch, and they let us tour the two floors of old books. How cool is that?? Everything is sorted by interest, and the place is packed!!

Our next stop was Lander, which is where Steve spent 7 years of his early life on a ranch and then in town. WIDE LOAD!!!, above..... Main Street, Lander, Wyoming, below:

I like the tree house in the upper photo, and this "drive-through", below.....
We had lunch, then wandered around and tried to find the house where he lived in town.
Again, there are some beautiful old homes that are lovingly taken care of.

We drove out to where his mom had her home and gallery, and discovered that both are still there, but the land has been divided and the gallery, which was an old log cabin, has been added on to front and back. This was the old gallery, above, and a curious horse on the ranch, below...From there, we headed off to the ranch. The county road was closed, so we ended up on the actual ranch road. I wasn’t able to drive up to the house due to the low hanging trees, so had to turn around, which was a little bit of a challenge. Lots of equipment, a horse and the creek cramped my style a little, and then the rancher came over…

We explained what we were doing there and he and Steve started talking about the others in the area and the various buildings. Some of the families are gone, but the buildings are still there. Steve mentioned the gallery, and the rancher mentioned Ethel by name… turns out he hadn’t met her personally, but knew of her. I thought that fact was pretty neat. Extremely beautiful country, and from one or two ranches, now there are a lot of “ranchettes” and big homes.

From Lander we went to Dubois, and on to Gros Ventre Campground. The drive was very scenic, but the road was under construction. So now Blue is a really dirty mess. We climbed up to 9600 feet and there is snow all around. Very pretty, though.



We finally came to the turn off for Gros Ventre Campground and found two other Lazy Dazes belonging to Jane and Ron and Gil and Nancy. We settled in right across from them and they came out and were surprised. I had mentioned to Jane I might make it up there!!

I walked back up to the entry station with the dogs and bagged our campsite. It is quite a ways from where we are parked. There are four loops of campsites, with the entry station in the middle. Only two of the eight loops are open at this time, and we are at the far end. I really feel sorry for all of the tent campers cause guess what?? It’s raining!

As it’s chilly, I decided to turn on the heater, and it won’t work!!! Every time I try to set the thermostat, I blow the fuse. ARGGH!

No comments: