Got to sleep in a little today, but was awakened by the whoosh of propane burners and two dogs in my face. Got quickly dressed and watched as the “Special Shapes” balloons were launched. 
You can get an idea of the size of the balloons, and the terrain here near the launch fields with this photo..very deceptive!!
Once the special shapes were up, the regular balloons launched. Today was amazing!!! The “box”, which is a wind pattern was really in evidence. The lower balloons were zipping south, and the higher balloons were cruising slowly north!!
After breakfast, I slightly packed up and went to get gas, dump, do laundry, mail postcards and do a little shopping for bottled water and dog food/treats. Fortunately, these places are within about 4 miles of the Fiesta grounds, all in a cluster. I left early enough that the balloons were still out, there are chase vehicles EVERYWHERE!!
There was the beer mug balloon down in a field off the side of the road.
Today, Steve flies in from Phoenix at 2:30pm!! WHA-HOOOO!
Robert loaned me his 2000 Chevy Tracker to go pick up Steve from the airport. I had no problems with traffic or getting there. Found a place to park, went inside the terminal and my phone rang! Talk about timing. Steve was ready to go!
We picked up a hamburger for him on the way back to Blue… believe it or not, there weren’t any obvious fast food places between the airport and Alameda, our off-ramp, and there was a Burger King. I got a great “BK Oreo Sundae Shake”, which was really pretty good!
We socialized a little with folks, Steve napped, I made a steak and stir fry veggies for dinner, then we walked down to the Balloon Field for the “Special Shapes Glow-deo”. These balloons are very impressive, not only for the sizes but the construction. Upon questioning a crew, the special shapes balloons can run between $40,000 and $200,000!! WOW!



We walked the field, then struggled through the throngs of people in the concession area. We decided to walk back to Blue, rather than take the bus. We heard from my “police” friends that there was almost a fight/riot for the old folks wanting to take the buses down to the field. The line to go back was long, too!! My plan was to be back before the fire works started, but they went off early, and were done by the time we got “home”. I was afraid Rico would tear the rig up, but aside from a few scattered pillows, everything was okay.
Steve turned in and I went out visiting with other LD’rs and chatted with a retired Electrician about the rental industry and cycling. Now it’s time to turn in!











Once the special shapes were up, the regular balloons launched. Today was amazing!!! The “box”, which is a wind pattern was really in evidence. The lower balloons were zipping south, and the higher balloons were cruising slowly north!!
There was the beer mug balloon down in a field off the side of the road.
Today, Steve flies in from Phoenix at 2:30pm!! WHA-HOOOO!
Robert loaned me his 2000 Chevy Tracker to go pick up Steve from the airport. I had no problems with traffic or getting there. Found a place to park, went inside the terminal and my phone rang! Talk about timing. Steve was ready to go!
We picked up a hamburger for him on the way back to Blue… believe it or not, there weren’t any obvious fast food places between the airport and Alameda, our off-ramp, and there was a Burger King. I got a great “BK Oreo Sundae Shake”, which was really pretty good!
We socialized a little with folks, Steve napped, I made a steak and stir fry veggies for dinner, then we walked down to the Balloon Field for the “Special Shapes Glow-deo”. These balloons are very impressive, not only for the sizes but the construction. Upon questioning a crew, the special shapes balloons can run between $40,000 and $200,000!! WOW!
Steve turned in and I went out visiting with other LD’rs and chatted with a retired Electrician about the rental industry and cycling. Now it’s time to turn in!
1 comment:
Lisa, I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog. You have a nice, easy style that lends itself to getting involved.
I'm so happy you are having a great time at the Fiesta. What a great write-up you have done. Maybe next year Blue and Footloose can be neighbors!
Take care and say Hello to Steve for me.
Sheila
Post a Comment