Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10/4 Saturday, Manzano to Albuquerque, NM

There were only a few Lazy Dazes left this morning when I woke up.. I moved from the cab over to the rear sofa, as my back is so sore. After breakfast, I took the dogs for a walk, then went to “dump”, then went to fill up my fresh water tank. From there, we headed north and east to Moriarty. I have to add a few (as my Grandma Heart would call "my summer home") photos.

I couldn’t find the place Kate told me about that has a huge variety of second hand goods. I did see a Thrift store (which turned out to be the place, I found out later!!) and a Swap Meet, but decided to pass on them. I found the laundry I was looking for, and of course, true to form, I turned the wrong way.

It’s nice to have clean clothes, throw rugs and the blanket I cover the rear sofa with. Like the T-shirt I’m wearing says “No outfit is complete without a few dog hairs.” I just loved this 50's retro star!!

From Moriarty, I drove west to the “Turquoise Trail” near Tijeras and headed north again. I reserved a campsite at the Turquoise Trail Campgrounds. Hmmmm, not the best looking place, but beggars can't be choosers with the Fiesta in town!

I then backtracked toward I-40 and stopped at a place called “Gifts that are…Just Too Cute!” And they were!! I even got a Kitty FIX!! I continued west on I-40 to my appointment with Best Buy. Supposedly, the Clarion stereo has an internal problem, so I replaced it with a Kenwood, of which I like the control setup much better.

Once done, I headed back east to Tijeras to my campsite. Oh, brother!! What a flippin’ fiasco!! I drove to my assigned site which was unlevel, crowded, and with 50 amp service (Blue uses 30 amp), on the wrong side of my rig. Oh, did I mention it’s raining?? I scouted a little, and picked a different site just across the way. So, I walked up to the office and the clerk was registering a couple in a monster Class A (probably a quarter-million $$ rig). She interrupted them to see what I needed, I made my request, she said okay and off I went. She did offer me an adapter for 50 to 30 amp, but with the rain and the fact I needed to use my extension cord, I really preferred a site with a direct set-up.

I had just plugged in and was starting to make my dinner when I heard a knock on my door. Here is the clerk, very apologetic, asking if I could move. Seems the other folks will be there 4 days, someone else had this site tomorrow, the folks didn’t want to move 3 times., etc., etc. Since they didn’t have anything else even half- way decent, I just asked for my money back. I really feel sorry for the clerk, as this is only her second day and the Balloon Fiesta to boot, she was really trying to be pleasant and helpful!

I then tried to get in touch with Marial at the Fiesta to make sure I could come in early. No Marial. Jane left because of doggie issues. I did get a hold of Robert, who told me to come on down, he would let Marial know I was on my way. HA HA.

I pulled into the field, and saw a guy waving a blue flashlight. I slowed, but he didn’t come around to my side, so I drove off. Just as I pulled around to the Lazy Daze area, a guy pulled up in a truck, all upset!! “Why didn’t you stop??” “Follow me!!” After turning around a couple of times to follow him, it turns out they absolutely won’t let you park yourself after dark. So, instead of being in the staging area, I am in the side street, waiting for dawn so I can make a right turn and drive 300 feet and park. The parking volunteer apologized for having to be mean, I told him I understood, but I didn’t see a hand up as “stop”, just the waving blue flashlight, like come ahead. I think as a concession, he has me parked just past the staging area that they disperse come daylight. Plus, some Lazy Dazers came down to see what the problem was. I think the poor guy was a little embarrassed by my friends giving him a tiny bit of heat. We can’t leave you here in the street!! my LD friends said. Actually, this is a huge muddy field that is right across from the launch field.

Oh, and it’s still raining!! As I was making my dinner, the fireworks started, which gives Rico the nervous nellies. But, I’m here and all tucked in, ready to watch balloons and play with my Lazy Daze friends!

No comments: