Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10/8 Wednesday, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, NM

Well, another early morning. Took my morning constitutional, then crawled back in bed after opening the curtain. As it is still dark out, but what was that??!!! Hey, the Dawn Patrol!!!
About 8-9 balloons flying by, and that noise I hear is the breeze whipping the “go slow, dogs playing” banner against the back of the coach. Took a couple of photos, snuggled back into the blankets for another hour, then, ATTACK!!! Two dogs are on the bed, blowing stinky dog breath in my direction!! YUCK!
I quickly got dressed and let them out to run off leash for a few minutes, as no one was around and the sun was just peeking over the mountains. Smudge was running so quickly she ran out from under her legs and slid across the dirt!!

As I was walking them, more and more balloons launched and quickly they were overhead! There were a few low ones, but most were by in a flash!! Our bunch started coming out of their rigs to watch. This is a big morning for balloons, as quite a few “special shapes” were out. There are supposed to be about 620 balloons registered. I’m sure it was an hour or more of balloons flying overhead. Took care of my housework and had cereal and coffee outside. It was a three sweater and lined boots morning, but the sun is brilliant and the day absolutely beautiful!

This photo on the left shows almost all of our rigs. The one on the right is taken from the steps to Blues' entry door..close, huh??!!!!


Another of our group was helping us get water without having to pay $20.00 or leave camp. We managed to spill some while re-filling Blue, so that was pretty funny.

I see a back-hoe outside of the window trying to clean up all the ruts and ridges everyone has made in last weekends mud!! They have re-caulked the lines for our “roads” and areas, and even moved the dogs' rug instead of running a line over it! A lot of rigs have left, but the big weekend is coming up, so I’m sure more rigs will come in tomorrow and Friday.

After a tuna salad and cracker lunch, I relaxed with novel #4 and the dogs. We have another pot luck planned at 5pm tonight. Andy was kind enough to run his generator for an hour with Blue plugged in…. so now I have more battery power!! I can go about 5 days on my house batteries, being really frugal with lights and not running my heater. (NOTE to self, lots of blankets needed when it’s in the 40’s at night!!) Although with hot flashes, I don’t notice the cold!

We had a GIANT potluck dinner tonight. There must have been 50 people there, and as always, the food was wonderful. Maybe I should rename this blog the epicurean adventure!! Lots of circles of folks, chatting, laughing, silly hats, silly lights, ice cream and popcicles for dessert, even AFTER the delicious desserts. I called my mom and a bunch of folks yelled “Hi, Mom!!” and a few even talked to her to let her know she is missed!

Oh, just as I got my food to my seat, one of the guards that ran me down my first night here came by with a business card for a neat place to visit. So, I got teased for “associating with the cops, now, are we??” from various folks. I have been visiting with them every night (father and son) when I walk Smudge and Rico. They are very nice folks, in spite of having to be the “parking police”.

Smudge and Rico got left over tamale pieces (my contribution) and Lia and Linda hand fed them pieces of Lindas’ leftover top sirloin! After everyone had eaten, I brought the dogs to the party for attention and butt scratches. Smudge has found a new perch, too!

We took our evening walk, and I had lots of washing up to do and then took a nice shower.

No comments: