Sunday, October 12, 2008

10/11 Saturday, Magdalena to Silver City, NM

Happy 10th Birthday, Audriana!!!

The dogs got us up this morning. Not only was it windy last night, it also rained. This morning we had beautiful double rainbows to greet us.

After we broke camp, we went down to the Magdalena Café for breakfast.



We then started wandering around Magdalena. There are a lot of neat old buildings here, some almost thumbling down, others being fixed up. I liked the Marshall's office sign!

We drove up to the Kelly mine ghost town, which was on a gravel road and once we got near the town site itself, there was a sign saying one could be arrested if one didn’t have a permit to be there. I ended up backing down to a church parking lot to turn around and park, and after a little debate, we decided to walk up the road a little to see what we could see. The decision was take one photo and walk back to Blue. I couldn't resist the photo on the right of the view from Kelly to Magdalena.








Then we went to the “Boxcar Museum”, which appeared closed. We asked at the library (which is in the Depot), and it turns out the museum isn’t in the Depot, it’s really in a boxcar next door. The entry way is hidden behind the original boxcar door. Very small display of artifacts, but still interesting. There was a shelf of notebooks that covered various topics and contained photos and articles, hand written letters, etc., on the subject noted on the notebook spine. Someone has done a lot of work to put that together.







We stopped by the grocery store, and then backtracked to the post office to mail a card to my friend Sara in Washington.

We finally headed west and stopped at the VLA site (Very Large Array) radio telescopes. The visitors’ center was quite informative, and when we were taking the walking tour, it started pouring rain. We turned around and ran back to the picnic shelters, and waited until the rain slowed down to return to the center.

If you face into the disk in the photo above, and speak into the center, the person standing with their back to you 50 feet away at the other disk can hear you loud and clear. This sign to the left was a warning for visitors...we didn't see her, though!

When we left, there was another older LD parked behind Blue!

Our next stop was in Pie Town at the Pie-O-Neer café. We split a grilled cheese with green chile and tomato sandwich, then had pie a la mode for dessert. I had peach-blackberry, Steve had peach. All of their food/pies are made with fresh, local ingredients, and it was all delicious! After lunch, we took the dogs for a walk and I took photos of a “windmill” farm.


We ran into numerous rain squalls, one where it was really difficult to see the road. I was really driving carefully. We turned south at Quemado, and took a detour to check out Quemado Lake for future camping GTGs. Only one campground was open, and it wasn’t much, more like a turn-around. We felt sorry for the folks who were tent camping.


When we arrived in Reserve, we stopped to check out a little “trinket” shop, and got some ideas for campgrounds and road conditions. It is still raining very hard at times, and we even saw snow along the roadway. I ended up stopping in Alma for gas, which I meant to do in Reserve. After looking at the various campgrounds and the windy and rainy conditions, we decided to drive all the way to Silver City.

Right near Glenwood, I got a REALLY big scare. It was quite windy and I was looking at a tree blowing back and forth over the road, and a HUGE deer ran right in front of Blue. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes, and am I glad I did!! That deer was way too close!

It was almost dark by the time we arrived in Silver City, and we are staying at the same park I stayed in last year, the Rose Valley RV Ranch. I heated up some of my black bean soup for dinner, then it was dog walking time and off to the shower house. It’s nice to take a shower in a BIG shower, instead of the RV! First time I’ve shaved my legs since I left home ;-)

No comments: