Sunday, October 12, 2008

10/12 Sunday, Silver City, NM to Benson, AZ

We all slept in this morning, even the dogs!! I took the pups out for a walk and gave them breakfast outside, and got dressed and we had our breakfast of cereal and yogurt. Steve went down to the shower house while I got Blue ready to go.. filled with water, dump tanks, shake out throw rugs, check motor oil, fluids and tire pressure. The sky is beautiful today, but still breezy. Our neighbors with a 5th wheel commented on how well behaved the dogs are. They are using a convential semi tractor, with storage for two Harleys as their tow vehicle!!!

I took my laptop over to the park office, as I couldn’t get their internet access to work last night. Since I will be home next week, I do need to check my work schedule…. Back to the real world, Sigh!!! The clerk was very helpful and got the connection to work (they have upgraded their site security from last year). He has a little Pomeranian named Sissy that I got to play with, too. Loved their "ranch" themed stop sign!
We got gasoline, then drove down to the historic part of town. This weekend is Silver City’s Art Festival, so we had fun walking around, looking in the galleries and antique stores. I took lots of photos of the old homes and buildings.

Stained glass studio!


Oriental styled bar
cabinet with striped
mirrors!









Someone waiting for his/her people... very friendly Lynx Point Siamese kitty.....

Historic building next to the "Big Ditch" and building details.

We couldn’t decide where to eat lunch, and after poking our noses in a couple of places or looking at the prices on the menus, we were almost ready to give up and walk back to Blue for sandwiches. We ended up having a wonderful lunch (me, bacon & avocado on jalapeno bread with cream of tomato soup, Steve, meatloaf and Caesar salad). We saved half our sandwiches so we could have lemon cake for dessert. Oh, YUM!!!!

Old and new side by side, right.....




Since the area we were walking in is reasonably compact, we were able to pass by Blue numerous times to unload purchases, walk dogs and leave our leftovers in the refrigerator. Where I parked was under a nice shady tree on a very steep sideways angle. It felt like the “Mystery House” at Knott’s Berry Farm when one walks from one end to the other.







Also, most of the curbs are very high (12” to 3’), and a lot of corners have steps and railings!







Sedgeway parking!


Like this plastic over the windows....

One tough plant to the right... Artist's row.






It was late afternoon by the time we had our fill of walking and looking, so we reluctantly headed southwest towards home. I notice the wind is picking up again. In passing conversation with some folks in town, I heard that the final day events for the Balloon Fiesta were cancelled due to severe wind.

The sun was just starting to go down when we decided to stop in Benson, Arizona for the night. We are staying at the Pato Blanco RV Park, just off I-10. So, we do hear the interstate noise and the freight trains going by, blowing their horns. It’s not horrible, though.

We wandered down to the shower house after dinner of our leftover lunch (YUM x 2). It is sooooo nice to not take a “Navy” shower, even if the shower nozzle doesn’t work well! When we opened the door to Blue, the trash was EVERYWHERE!!! Some Smudge dog can’t resist getting into the trash, and some guardian sometimes forgets to put the trash away from temptation! So, both dogs got scolded and I picked up the mess.

No comments: