I awoke before dawn and took the dogs out for a potty. They have both been scratching, so I gave them a Benedryl last night, and I think I’m getting paid back this morning (yuck).
I gave the kids their breakfast outside (oh, yeah, it’s COLD!) and went to the bath house to take a shower. Took me half way through my shower to realize half of the shower head was on the floor!! No wonder the water was so strong, the aerator fell off. I made myself eggs and toast, and cleaned up and took the dogs for another walk to the trash can.
I drove into Chama Village to mail post cards and get a cup of coffee. From there, we headed west. Smudge started in on her whiney thing, so I stopped a couple of times with no luck. I was really pissed at her because I’m not sure if she has to go or just wants to stop. I kept her leash on so she wouldn’t wander all over and distract me, and in about 50 miles I stopped again. She finally went, but I was ready to just shove her out of the coach!!

Old ranch, above... peaceful horses....


I actually turned around to photograph this red ranch building and the changing trees....


Shiprock, in the distance, above. Weird clouds, below...and wide open spaces.


I missed my turn in Shiprock, so modified my route to circle Monument Valley. But first, I detoured to Four Corners, where it was very windy. I looked at all the artist displays twice, and ended up buying a beautiful little pot, by a known artist. My first piece of authentic Indian art!! I also snagged a couple of post cards and a cinnamon/sugar frybread for lunch. With a little patience, I was able to get a shot of the Four Corners Monument without people on it! After eating my frybread, I took the kids for a walk, where they were excellent. Maybe something about me being quite upset with them this morning helped.


Blue with the Four Corners flags in the background

There is such a variety of geologic shapes in the Monument Valley area. I drove slowly, and took a lot of pictures. There was one pull out that had quite a drop off, and Blue lurched and the dish cupboard door flew open, scattering dishes and cups. Dogs flew, too!! I almost did another drop off, but stopped before I got to the edge of the road, as the drop was about 6-8”!! They resurfaced the road, but not the pull offs! I did notice lots and lots of pull offs, which makes it nice for picture taking and gazing. There wasn’t much traffic going my way, but I was sure to look behind me before I pulled over, just in case!

Do you see the faces in the rocks?

More "wide open spaces" shots...



This is the Mexican Hat that Mexican Hat is named for.....



I went up to the visitors center, took more photos and looked around.

Blue and a mitten....

There is an electric train track on the Navajo Nation....thought I was in Europe.

I thought about staying in Tuba City, but the RV park there is full. I also realized that Allen and Uni are going to be in Flagstaff Friday and Saturday, so I will just go on home tomorrow.
I’m in Cameron at the Cameron Trading Post RV Park. This is a very basic set up, full hookups, right next to the road. Quite cheap, though. I first went to the western side of the highway, but the RV park is on the eastern side. So, when traffic was clear, I drove across the road. Then I discovered that the check in desk is at the far end of the trading post on the other side of the road. I did the dash across the road on foot. I paid ($14), and looked around for a minute. Then ran back across the road to Blue. I tried 3 sites to get somewhat level, as I’m too tired to drag the blocks out. I wanted to be as far away from the road as possible, but I’m kind of in the middle. When the trucks go by it’s noisy.
At the trading post, there were a bunch of kids/young adults in liederhosen playing brass instruments in the umm-paa style. At least they are quiet now.
No comments:
Post a Comment