Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thursday October 8, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Hey, guess what!!! There are balloons in the sky…. But they aren’t going anywhere!! Balloons were up over the launch field, but the winds weren’t taking the early risers anywhere.

We had one land just down the road from us, and everyone ran down to help or watch. You can’t help unless you have leather gloves on, so your hands won’t get burned by the ropes. This balloon didn’t take off again, they just rolled it up and took it away on their chase vehicle.By the time I took a quick shower and made breakfast (oatmeal and raisins) and fed the dogs, the balloons were scattering all over the sky. I got quite a few good pictures.

I believe this balloon below is hand made and the gentleman does the tie-dye too!

Balloon eclipse of the sun...

The one above reminds me of Wonder Bread!

This is the balloon they took away earlier.... successful relaunch!!
Convent by the Plaza at Old Towne Albuequerque
We all said goodbye to Tessa, Lia and Linda, John (our Lazy Daze Balloon Fiesta honchos), and they turned the reins of our show over to Anne (of Lovely LaVerne) and me. There really isn’t too much to do, just make sure our area is clean by Sunday and not let anyone swipe our spots without paying!

I had thought of going up to the Sandia Sky-tram as scheduled, but decided to go down to Old Towne Albuquerque with Beverly and Chuck (friends from previous LD outings and Escapades) to look around instead. I found some fun gifts for Christmas presents, but the one thing I really wanted the store had sold out of. Beverly bought one yesterday, and I fell in love with her little cut work sun. I’ll have to ask her if I can photograph the one she bought. It also rained while we were down there, and we were tired, so were back to the rigs by noon.


One may think we’re awfully lazy in our Lazy Daze, with all the naps we take, but we are up before sunrise to watch the balloons. We also walk a lot, or ride bikes.
I took Blue down to Mesa CB near downtown, and got my new CB antenna tuned, then went and filled up the propane tank and the gas tank.

Beverly and Chuck went out for East Indian food for lunch, and were kind enough to bring some back for me. So, I had last nights leftovers for lunch, and will have the Indian food for dinner.

About 5:30pm I hopped on my bike and rode down to the launch field for the Glowdeo.
The bike path wasn’t bad until I got close to the field, and I was calling out “on your left” to all the pedestrians strolling along. I took my bike to the bike valet, where they store your bike in a secure area, for free! I walked along the vendors booths to the New Mexican artist’s gallery, then walked back through the balloons in the dark.


There are countdowns with everyone starting out on 10 and at zero, the balloons are all lit up by their propane burners. It’s pretty neat, but even though it’s Thursday night, it was REALLY crowded. I understand that last weekends Glowdeo was cancelled due to weather. Oh, and the round trip walk is just over a mile!

Riding back in the dark wasn’t too bad, as most folks stay to watch the fireworks from the field. I wanted to get back to Blue so Rico wouldn’t be too nervous. HA HA!!!

Oh, the Indian food was delicious, and I was only about to finish half of each dish. I watched the fireworks while having dinner. There was a “wine tasting” scheduled for this evening, but no one was around, the rigs are all dark. I think most folks went down to the Balloon Field, as I don’t think too many were interested in wine tonight, especially after last nights Butterbeer!

No comments: