Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thursday October 15, Cameron to Surprise, AZ

Oh, dummy me!!! I’m a day ahead of myself and wasn’t supposed to go home until Friday!!

I actually slept well considering we were so close to the highway.
The old suspension bridge, below, was built in the early 1900's.. the modern bridge is in front, so you can see we were pretty close to the highway.
After breakfast we headed south towards Flagstaff on route 89. I stopped at the Second Chance Center for Animals, but they don’t open until 11, so I decided to drive down to Flagstaff to go to Bookman’s, the used entertainment (books, CDs, etc) store.

I wandered in Bookman’s for a bit, then went into Michael’s Arts & Crafts, and when I walked out, I realized I’d let Blue’s headlights on (route 89 is one that you need to have your lights on while driving). So, yep, dead battery. I called Triple A, and because I have a “classic” California policy, they couldn’t jump start an RV in Arizona. The only reason I called them first is that I saw a AAA service truck cruising the parking lot. So, I then called Progressive, and they had someone out in 20 minutes. A nice, young Native American chickie came and 10 minutes later, we were on our way back to Second Chance.

The facility at Second Chance is newer and quite roomy. I wandered around and visited the dogs and cats, then made a donation in John Nesbit’s name (my boss that passed away unexpectedly in his sleep 2 months ago). I’ve been bummed by his death (we had seen him the night before he died), but it didn’t hit me until I handed over the paperwork for the donation, then I burst into tears.

I left Blue running, but locked the doors with the dogs inside while I visited the shelter. From there I stopped down the road at the gas station, and turned Blue off to gas up. No problem starting up again. We trundled our way home to Surprise….

Once home I unloaded all my laundry and most of the food stuffs. I can’t believe how tired I am, so I will leave the refrigerator and clean up for tomorrow.

No comments: