I woke up at 6:30am, ready to start today’s adventure. I made a reservation for the Cumbres and Toltec steam train that goes from Chama to Antonito, CO today. In fact, I called about the train time and whether the train was still running and kennel availability, and forgot to make the reservation and inquire about cost!! Dummy me. So I called back yesterday and confirmed a seat. I had already confirmed the kennel space.
A little before 8am I parked Blue in front of Dr. Johnson’s mobile vet’s office to drop off the pups and leave Blue. This is right across the street from the Chama train depot. Another couple brought their border collie, Erin, to stay in the other side of the kennel.

Smudge grabbed the kennel door after it was locked and was pulling it toward her, so to be on the safe side, I put 3 bungie cords on the door, and Dr. Johnson chained the door with a lock. The only way Smudge could get out would be to climb the fence separating the two kennels, land in Erin’s side, then climb out. I figured if my dogs did get out, they would just lay under Blue.
Since my train didn’t leave until 10am, I wandered in the few stores that were open early and bought a few more Christmas gifts and splurged on a really neat denim blue sweater. I was also able to purchase a coffee (good) and fudge at the same store.

Decorating for Halloween.... looking down the main drag in Chama Village, yard art, 2nd below..


I peeked in on the dogs when I went to drop off my goodies and go potty, and Smudge was perched on the doghouse, and Rico was sitting near the door. All was good.
The train route is 64 miles, and one can bus either way, or train half-way and back. I had elected to train up the entire route and bus back. Before boarding the train, I chatted with some cyclists that had ridden from Antonito to Chama the previous day, and were riding the train back. As it was windy and high altitude, I had to give these guys credit for a tough ride.

Train #484 getting ready to roll.

Inside the train station...


Cyclists out in the cold, grey air, inside of the passenger car.....

I ended up sitting next to Julie, a rural mail carrier from Iowa of my vintage who is into trains and fast cars!!! How fun is that!!???



Interesting shot while we were stopped to take on water in Cumbres..


This is the work train that Julie's son was on, it was actually going the same way we were, but the grade is so steep the trains really loop back on each other so the train can carefully climb.

We had fun chatting the entire way to Osier, which was our lunch spot. Lunch was included in the train ticket price, was all you could eat, including dessert. I had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, cranberries, green beans and peach pie for dessert. I was stuffed, and I didn’t go back for seconds!!

Trestle bridge, above, train in Osier, below.... love the sky!!


A huge portion of food, and all you could eat. No, I didn't get seconds!!

It was quite windy up there, and in the 10,000 foot range! The sky was beautiful, with lots of puffy white clouds and not a hit of last nights thunder storm! I got some wonderful photos and videos and for the first time ever filled up a 2 gig memory card before my trip was over!! Glad I bought a spare card (on sale) in Albuquerque!! I also discovered I had the wrong setting on the camera, which is why the card filled up so fast!

Perfect timing, the conductor stuck his head out just as I took the shot... leftover leaves from the peak turning time a few weeks ago.

The second half of the ride wasn’t as scenic as the first, and we had different seats. It was fun chatting up all the folks in the car, including a couple that have RV'd full timed for 11 years. There was a couple with 8 ½ year old well behaved triplets (2 girls, 1 boy) and a couple from Texas.

Antonito station and water wheel outside the gift shop.

Back in Chama.... just a little railroad history, below...


We had just a few minutes to check out the gift shop and board the bus to come back (49 miles on route 17). Our driver gave us a smooth ride back, and everyone gave the driver and the train crew on board a big hand!!
Dr. Johnson had only done the half train trip, and said the "kids" were very good. I opened the door to Blue and Smudge jumped right in. Rico had to be needy dog and “come up” to make sure it was really me!! I thanked the Dr. for providing such good service. OH! The kennel with lined with about 8” of hay, which Smudge rearranged into a mountain!!
It was just getting dark as I pulled back into the Twin Rivers RV Park, and it is cold (I heard it might be in the 20’s tonight). I made myself dinner, gave the kids a Benedryl (their skin is really dry and they are itchy) and am catching up with my journal and tidying up. Smudge is lying on the floor snoring.
I heard from Steve that our friends Allen and Uni are in Colorado, and coming back through Flagstaff. We may try to meet up with them on Friday, which will be fun!! I haven’t seen them for a while, and I had planned on going through Flag anyway!! So Steve would drive up to Flagstaff and we could have an early dinner. We shall see!
No comments:
Post a Comment