Sunday, October 18, 2009

Monday October 12, Espanola to Chama, NM

Once I got up this morning, I took the dogs for a walk and went up to the Red Door Coffee House to pay for my space at Cottonwood RV. The owners are a young couple, and even though the RV parking is a little run down, one can see that they are trying to improve this property. The front space is office, then the Coffee House and a hair salon. The Coffee House is really inviting and the owner bought me a cup of good Joe to thank me for moving last night. The other camper came in around 9:30pm, so I’m glad I moved earlier. You can just see Blue on the left hand side, and see how close together everyone is!
The showers were extremely roomy and freshly remodeled. Hopefully this couple can make it in this economy. At least the Coffee House had quite a few people in it. The properties here are very narrow but very deep, and on a slope. The newer, bigger rigs are quite crammed together, with about 60 spaces in all. Seems they have a lot of construction folks working at the Los Alamos site and won’t be closing for the winter when it gets really cold as they have long term renters.Love the red turning leaves... and the old grumpy neighbor is letting his orchard go... darn!!
I drove up to Wal Mart to buy milk, oj and brake fluid, just in case I need it for Blue, and topped off the gas tank. From there it was north on route 84.
Pair of beggars hoping for a handout...
I stopped in Abiquiu to mail postcards and discovered they were having an Artist’s fair. I got scolded for taking photographs of the Mission church (Pueblo grounds), even though it wasn’t posted. In talking with a couple of the artists in the area, there used to be a sign about no photographs without a permit, but it got graffiti covered, so it was removed. So, I have a couple of “illegal” photographs. I purchased two small indigo dyed “beer mats” (coasters) from a very friendly native artist. I also drove up a dirt county road to see a studio, and had to make a 10-point turn to go back down. The studio I really wanted to see was at a fork in this road, so rather than chancing another multi-point u-turn, I went down to park in a road junction and hiked back up. I bought 2 cards of the artists’ work. These folks were lots of fun to chat with.Beautiful countryside.... see what one misses from the Interstate??
Well, here I am in Chama, NM, ready to wander the little town, and the RV Park I had planned on staying at (next to the train station) closed for the season today!!

So, I am down the road a piece, behind the Chevron station in a pleasant little RV/trailer park. There is a stream nearby and a big field like area to walk the dogs. I checked out the kennel by the veterinarians’ mobile office to make sure the dogs will be safe there tomorrow. My plan was to take the dogs for a walk, then ride my bike the 1 ½ miles back to town to check out the stores, but after our walk, I fell asleep instead.
After a quick dinner, I sat down to read and didn’t fall asleep again until after midnight. AND it started raining after a BIG clap of thunder sounded. Rico came up on the bed to quiver, but wasn’t too needy (ie, burrowing under the covers). Oh, and it’s COLD! I think the thunder, lightening and rain stopped around 4am.

No comments: