Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday October 11, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta to Espanola, NM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUDRIANA!!!!

I was up really early this morning, and the wind was blowing. Hated to wake up this sleepy one. I took the dogs for a stroll, then started my final clean up after breakfast of Kashi cinnamon wheat. No balloons this morning, which is a shame, as this was to be the farewell mass ascension.

I heard a knock on the door, and it was Karen and Terry coming to say goodbye, then Akiko came over and we all went over to Anne and KC’s rig to wish them happy and safe travels. This is the first time that I’ve almost been in tears watching my friends drive away.

I got down to the rental place to return the generator at 8:30am, they didn’t open til 9, so I took the dogs for a walk. Neat mural and buildings near the Old Towne Albuquerque Plaza

Lobby and outside embellishments on the Kimo Theatre..

Love that Blue can do "on street" parking
I love a good porch, and these look inviting for all types of weather.
From there I went back to Old Towne Albuquerque to do some looking and Christmas shopping. Convent detail at the Plaza, Little Yellow house all dolled up

Not sure if this is an old wall, or a re-creation.... and how about that speed limit sign??
As it was early I was able to park in one of the local lots. When I left, the tourist buses were there and the lot was filling up.

I stopped at REI to do some looking, then Petsmart for doggie treats and Panda Express for lunch fixings for me. This is a commercial/residence for sale... and Blue is being Green below.
On the way north I stopped at some roadside recycling bins to dump the “hitch haul box” that was full of cans and paper. From there I drove up to Rio Rancho to the nice laundry to wash all the clothes and rugs. While the clothes dried I took a quick nap.

I headed north from Rio Rancho on secondary roads to head towards Chama. I stopped on the Jemez Reservation to look at the Indian Arts and Crafts fair, and got some neat photos of the geology of the area and the changing colors of the foliage.

These shots are of "Soda Dam" near Jemez Springs


I missed a turn and ended up driving through the Los Alamos facility, and fortunately didn’t have to get searched, but I think they were timing me to go out the other end! I heated up my brakes pretty good, too…. Whew, stinky!! Some of the turns were steep and 10 MPH.

I really got turned around trying to get to Espanola to camp, I must have turned around about 4 times!! I couldn’t find the campground, so I was going to give up and park at Wally World, and wouldn’t you know it, as I turned around in a parking lot I saw the entrance to the campground!! There were only 2 spots left, and after I hooked up my electric and started dinner, I thought I better try calling the office. Turns out I was in a reserved space! The owner came down to help me level out in the unreserved space, and thanked me for moving. Nice guy. I need to go register in the morning so I can take a ROOMY hot shower! These two are ready for bed.After tidying up my purchases and the rig, I’m ready to hit the sack.

No comments: